There has been a phenomenon in the ruling New Patriotic Party over a decade now. I have monitored the trend that keeps recurring in every election year. We have very senior members of the party that die during every election year. The rest of the article will take you through some bigwigs the New Patriotic Party has lost in election years from 2008.
2008 – HON. KWADWO BAAH -WIREDU
Hon. Kwadwo Baah–Wiredu was a distinguished Ghanaian politician and a key member of the John Agyekum Kuffour’s administration. He was one of the finest economists and accountants Ghana could boast of. He worked at the Ghana Railway Authority before entering into politics, and was a key member of the team that ushered the NPP into power for the first time in 2000.
President John Agyekum Kuffour gave him so many appointments in his government from 2001 to 2008 when he departed. He held the portfolios of Local Government and Rural Development from 2001–03 before he was reshuffled to the Education, Youth and Sports Ministry from 2003 to 2005. He became the Minister for Finance and Economic Planning in 2005.
In 2005 he was the first Finance Minister in Ghana’s history to present the country’s Budget Statement and Economic Policy to Parliament before the arrival of that fiscal year. With his second budget for the fiscal year 2006, and since then it has become a norm for all successive Finance Ministers to date.
He made a case for Ghana on so many international platforms. He served as the Member of Parliament for the Asante Akyem Constituency his hometown and is regarded as one of the illustrious sons of the land. Few Months to the elections on 24th September 2008, Baah Wiredu died in South Africa where he had been receiving medical treatment for a short illness.
2012 – HIS EXCELLENCY ALHAJI ALIU MAHAMA
Alhaji Aliu Mahama was a senior Member of the New Patriotic Party and a statesman. He is the only person who has served as a Vice President for two consecutive times in Ghana. He was appointed as a running mate of candidate John Agyekum Kuffour in 2000. He became the vice president from 2001 -2009. In 2008 Alhaji Aliu Mahama was one of the 17 people who contested to bear the flag of the New Patriotic Party in the 2008 general elections. Nana Addo Danquah Akufo emerged the winner.
His son, Farouk Aliu Mahama is the NPP parliamentary candidate for the Yendi Constituency in the Northern Region.
Alhaji Aliu Mahama died three weeks to the elections on 16th November 2012 at the age of 66 from a heart-related condition and complications from a stroke. He died almost four months after the then sitting Ghanaian President, Professor John Evans Atta Mills died.
2016 – JAKE OTANKA OBETSEBI LAMPTEY
Jake Otanka Obetsebi Lamptey was a senior Member of the New Patriotic Party. He served as the National Chairman of the party at the same time Sir John too was the General Secretary. He was one of the petitioners of the 2012 landmark election petition case at the Supreme Court of Ghana. He was succeeded by Paul Afoko as the Chairman of the party. Jake Obetsebi Lamptey was the Campaign Manager of the party in 2000 when president Kuffour was the flagbearer.
He served in so many capacities under Fmr. President John Agyekum Kuffour’s government. He was first appointed as the Minister for Information from 2001 to 2002. Obetsebi-Lamptey was made the Minister of Tourism and Modernization of the Capital from 2002 to 2005. From 2005 to July 2007, Obetsebi-Lamptey served as Minister of Tourism and Diasporan Relations in the cabinet of President John Kufuor. He passed on a few months to the 2016 election at a hospital in London on 20 March 2016 at the age of 70.
2016 – JOSEPH BOAKYE DANQUAH ADU
Joseph Boakye Danquah Adu was a Ghanaian politician and the Member of Parliament for the Abuakwa North Constituency. On 9th February 2016, months to the elections. He was stabbed to death in the wee hours of the morning at his residence.
2016 – KWABENA BOADU
Kwabena Boadu was a young, intelligent politician. He served as a special aid to Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia. The Vice President says he was his anchor and has never been the same after his demise. He was electrocuted to death in a hotel in Upper East Regional capital Bolgatanga on 24th November 2016 about two weeks to the elections.
2020 – LAWYER KWADWO OWUSU AFRIYIE (SIR JOHN)
Lawyer Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie who was affectionately called Sir John was a stalwart of the ruling New Patriotic Party. He was one the biggest fan of the Nana Addo Danquah Akufo Addo. He said on record that, even if Nana Addo sits in a wheelchair, he will still push him to be a president of Ghana.
He was a General Secretary of the party and failed to secure his re-election in the Tamale Congress. He lost to the embattled Kwabena Agyei Agyapong. He was cited for contempt of court during the 2012 election petition in 2016 and got fined for GHC3000 upon sober plead by his counsel, Lawyer Ayikoi Otoo.
Lawyer Kwadwo Owusu Afriyie was the Chief Executive Officer of the Forestry Commission. He succumbed to the complications of coronavirus. He died on the 1st July 2020, an election year, at the Korle Bu Teaching Hospital.
Other names include Hon. K.K Sam, the mayor of Sekondi Takoradi who also died of coronavirus.
- Is Hawa Koomson’s act a confirmation that the NPP is the most violent political party in Ghana?
- 5 groups of people who should vote for NPP at all cost
- Why Ashanti Region must show the NPP the exit in the upcoming elections
- Money or Intelligence, Which one has more power in the NPP?
- 7 examples that prove that NPP’s leadership is a family affair
- How NPP has strategically secured over 2 million votes ahead of 2020 elections
- NPP repeating NDC’s mistakes as they spend all time on Prof. Jane Naana and ignore John Mahama to walk free
- NPP vs NDC: Who has performed better in the Agricultural sector?
- Would NPP allow Bawumia to proceed as a presidential candidate like how Mahama was allowed by NDC?
- The regrets Ghanaians would have should the NPP be voted out of power
- How The NDC Is Turning Into A Populist Party For Votes
- Would Akufo-Addo contest again in 2024 should he lose this year’s elections?
- 7 Promises by John Mahama that we can confidently trust
- 5 Promises John Mahama has made that we cannot trust
- Is John Mahama on a promising spree because he still believes Ghanaians have short memory?
- For how long will Volta Region keep voting without any significant development?
- How far with A-Plus and his TPP?
- Why I will vote against Akufo-Addo even if he gives me free water and electricity for life
- Will the Ashanti Region keep on voting for mere promises?
- Akufo-Addo’s free water and electricity, are they for votes or genuine concern?
- Why is the President cutting sods for new projects? What if the NDC wins the 2020 elections?
- 3 Reasons Why Ashanti Region Should Vote For The NDC At All Cost
- Ghanaian celebrities who have publicly shown displeasure for Akufo Addo’s governance
- 4 groups of people who should vote for NDC at all cost
- Ghanaian politicians who have been to prison
- CORONAVIRUS FIGHT: Will Ghanaians reward the NPP or show them the exit in the 2020 elections?
- Will the final year SHS students thank Akufo-Addo for FSHS or punish him for COVID-19 exposure?
- Where is Martin Amidu?
- In-depth analysis that shows that Dr. Bawumia and Prof. Naana Jane are on the same level academically and politically
- All the times Nana Akufo-Addo proved that NPP is above the law