It’s hard to trust a politician but there are certain promises that when made by someone with a record of delivering same in the past, you can confidently trust them. In his bid to come back to office, former President John Dramani Mahama has made several promises. Though some of them don’t look feasible, there are at least 7 of them but we can trust them.
Let us take a look at them.
REDUCE THE SIZE OF GOVERNMENT BY AT LEAST FORTY (40) MINISTERS
Under the John Mahama administration, there were 84 Ministers of State (deputies included), as compared to the 123 under the Nana Akufo-Addo government; meanwhile, the population of the country has not increased. The formation of many ministries under the current Akufo-Addo government was not necessary, as it only increased the number of ministers without any major development in the country.
An example of such ministries is the transport sector; where we now have the ministry of transport, roads and highways, railway development and aviation. All these ministries could fit into one big ministry, but that is not the case. Therefore John Mahama when he comes into power, can reverse the number of ministries to what it used to be and reduce the number by half to get around the forty (40) he has promised.
CONSTRUCT A REGIONAL HOSPITAL FOR EACH OF THE SIX NEWLY CREATED REGIONS
John Mahama is best known for the number of world-class hospitals he built when he was in power. The most famous among these are the Bank of Ghana Hospital, the University of Ghana Medical Centre and the renovation of the Greater Accra Regional Hospital are in the Greater Accra Region.
This means that when he comes back to power, he is more than able to build just six (6) more hospitals in each of the newly created regions and the Western Region. He was able to deliver when he was in power and as such, is more than able to deliver when he is given the mantle again in January 2021.
PROVIDE DISTRICTS WITHOUT HOSPITALS WITH FULLY-EQUIPPED HOSPITALS
In the healthcare infrastructure sector, John Mahama and his NDC performed excellently in delivering hospitals, CHPS compounds, clinics and polyclinics. Therefore, the building of hospitals in each of the districts without one is highly achievable. The construction of hospitals, on the other end, has been the main weakness of the Akufo-Addo led NPP administration.
John Mahama proved to Ghanaians that he was highly able to deliver when it comes to building hospitals and if Ghanaians grant him four (4) more years, he will be able to deliver according to his promise.
Looking for TWO SURE? This group won the Friday and Saturday games. Click to join Whats-App group.
COMPLETE ALL ABANDONED PROJECTS
Before the NDC left power in 2016, there were are a number of projects they were constructing. They were able to complete some of them and commissioned them, some were completed but were not able to commission them (Bank of Ghana Hospital), and some were not completed at the time they left office.
When the NPP resumed power in 2017, most of the projects that were started by the NDC were abandoned; some of which were schools, hospitals and a host of others. In the hospital sector, the Kumawu District Hospital and Adansi-Fomena District Hospitals are one of the most famous ones known by many Ghanaians, especially those in the Ashanti region. When John Mahama resumes office, he will definitely be able to complete what he started.
ABOLISH THE DOUBLE TRACK SYSTEM
The double-track system by the NPP government was mainly due to the lack of schools and facilities. The NDC built a number of secondary schools, especially the community day schools (E-block) all over the country. Instead of the NPP to continue with this intervention, they opted for free education rather, without considering where the students will sit to enjoy this initiative.
The only way we can abolish the double track is by building more schools, which the NDC and John Mahama started when they were in power. This is one of the promises that John Mahama can deliver flawlessly.
END THE PRACTICE OF NEPOTISM
According to the Oxford dictionary, ‘nepotism’ is the practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs. This is basically the Akufo-Addo administration right now, almost half of his employees and government officials are either his relatives or friends. Under the NDC, the number of government officials who were relatives of John Mahama was few (if any), therefore with his promise of ending nepotism, he is capable.
CONSTRUCT INFECTIOUS DISEASE CENTRES
The performance of the John Mahama led-NDC administration in the health sector is flawless. The number of health facilities in Ghana increased drastically and thus, the promise of constructing infectious disease centres is no big surprise to most Ghanaians, especially those who watched his government closely.
Considering what John Mahama did when he was in power from July 2014 to 2016, the above are some of the numerous promises that he can deliver when power is given back to him in 2020.
As the local saying which literally translates as “You don’t need a torchlight to identity someone you know during the daytime in the dark”, he has been seen in the sunlight already and does not need light to be identified in the darkness.
- 5 Promises John Mahama has made that we cannot trust
- Is John Mahama on a promising spree because he still believes Ghanaians have short memory?
- What Prof. Jane Naana Opoku has in common with past running mates that should scare the NPP
- Prof. Jane Naana Opoku? The Pros and cons put NDC in a tight corner
- Where are all the senior politicians in the NDC? The battle is no longer for babies
- Why John Mahama is bent on reversing the Public Universities Bill
- Analysis of the choice of Mahama’s running mate and its political consequences for the NDC
- Mahama’s Projects Nana Addo Has Abandoned, And How They Could Have Saved Ghanaians
- Campaign of infrastructure: Whose legacy, Nana Addo or John Mahama?
- Why one of these 3 would be John Mahama’s running mate
- Why the NDC Should Not Present Mahama as Presidential Candidate Amidst Airbus Scandal
- Akufo-Addo and John Mahama shamed by international media
- Ghanaian celebrities who have publicly shown displeasure for Akufo Addo’s governance
- Ghanaian politicians who have been to prison
- Seven NPP scandals that make John Mahama an angel with Airbus scandal
- 4 times Nana Addo proved to be a listening President
- Funny things that Akufo-Addo would be forever remembered for
- How far with A-Plus and his TPP?
- 5 groups of people who should vote for NPP at all cost
- 4 groups of people who should vote for NDC at all cost
- A Ritual? These Are NPP Bigwigs Who Died In An Election Year
- 7 examples that prove that NPP’s leadership is a family affair
- Money or Intelligence, Which one has more power in the NPP?
- The Death Of Atta Mills: Who bails the cat?
- List of 10 female running mates and presidential candidates of Ghana
- How The NDC Is Turning Into A Populist Party For Votes
- Would Akufo-Addo contest again in 2024 should he lose this year’s elections?
- For how long will Volta Region keep voting without any significant development?
- Why I will vote against Akufo-Addo even if he gives me free water and electricity for life
- Will the Ashanti Region keep on voting for mere promises?