When President Nana Addo Danquah Akufo-Addo won power after the 2016 general elections, he offered appointment to certain celebrities who campaigned for him during the elections.
YEN.com.gh brings to you seven of those celebrities who received political appointments under Akufo-Addo.
1. Agya Koo
Real name Kofi Adu, Agya Koo is a popular Kumawood actor who for over the years, thrilled Ghanaian with roles he played in movies. For almost a decade, Agya Koo was the most popular face in Ghanaian movies.
Before the general elections in 2016, Agya Koo made known his political affiliation thus supported then aspirant and now president, Nana Addo Danquah Akufo-Addo.
After winning, President Akufo-Addo appointed Agya Koo as tourism ambassador. His role is to use his talent to showcase Ghana so as to draw tourists into the country. Tourism is known to be one of the most promising cash-ins for Ghana’s economy.
2. Socrates Sarfo
Known as a movie producer and a pioneer in the Ghana movie industry, Socrates Sarfo got appointed as Director of Creative Arts at the National Commission on Culture soon after President Akufo-Addo got into office.
Before the elections in 2016, Socrates Sarfo, as a guest on many showbiz programs on radio publicly, threw his support behind Nana Akufo-Addo and the NPP. Many at the time speculated that Socrates could be handed the deputy minister for Tourism, Arts and Culture position but that did not happen.
Even though he missed out on that deputy ministerial position, Socrates was appointed into a national agency; a position he is still keeping till date.
3. Kwame A Plus
When Nana Akufo-Addo won the 2016 elections and got into office, one person who got early appointment was popular musician A-Plus.
Known in real life as Kwame Asare-Obeng, A-Plus was instrumental during the pre-election era where he often lambasted former President Mahama and his NDC. A-Plus often posted hard-hitting words on Facebook directed at the NDC and how he thought they were incompetent.
While doing so, A-Plus revealed his support for Nana Akufo-Addo and how he is hopeful Nana Addo will do better.
Upon winning the 2016 general elections, President Akufo-Addo appointed Kwame A-Plus as secretary to the CEO of Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital.
Not long after the appointment, A Plus took to Facebook and lambasted the two deputy Chiefs of Staff, accusing them of corruption. That rant led to many other issues and consequently caused A-Plus to lose his job.
4. Lucky Mensah
Many Ghanaians remember Lucky Mensah for the popular song ‘Nkratuo’ which he released in 2011 to allegedly mock the then President Atta Mills of the NDC.
NPP in opposition at the time capitalized on the song and got it played at their party rallies prior to the 2012 general election.
Real name Alex Mensah, many Ghanaians were amazed because Lucky Mensah in 2006, campaigned for the NDC. Since the release of ‘Nkratuo’ in 2011, Lucky Mensah publicly announced that he is a supporter of the NPP. Prior to the 2016 elections, he was seen actively campaigning for the NPP thus upon winning, President Akufo-Addo appointed Lucky Mensah as a tourism ambassador.
5. Mark Okraku Mantey
Currently the head of Creative Arts Council, Mark got appointed when Akufo-Addo came into power after winning the 2016 general elections. Mark Okraku-Mante who doubles as Programmes Manager of Hitz FM, is a household name in the Ghanaian music industry.
He is known for producing music in the 90s and early 2000s before shifting full time to radio management.
Okraku-Mante on many platforms confessed about his support for the ruling NPP government thus was not surprising to see him get an appointment.
The music trio have been appointed by President Akufo-Addo as tourism ambassadors under his government.
Even though Praye as a group was not together during the pre-election era of 2016, two of the three musicians threw massive support behind the then aspirant Nana Akufo-Addo.
Praye performed on many NPP party rallies during the 2016 election campaign period. On winning, President Akufo-Addo rewarded the now reunited music group with the position of tourism ambassadors.
7. Diana Asamoah
Even though many people like to disassociate politics from religion, gospel musician, Diana Asamoah, did not hide her support and love for the then aspirant Nana Akufo-Addo and his NPP.
Diana Asamoah on some occasions, performed at NPP rallies during the election campaign prior to the 2016 elections. Diana Asamoah was handed the position of tourism ambassador after President Akufo-Addo took over office.
- NPP/NDC Politics Has Taken Over My Church – Duncan Williams Laments
- Ayawaso By-Election: Let’s Come Together And Kick Out NPP And NDC In 2020 – A-Plus To Ghanaian Youths
- NPP and NDC’s achievements that are confusing voters in decision making
- NDC rejects Regional Minister’s sugar, NPP does same to Adongo’s sugar
- NPP planning to sacrifice 3 kidnapped T’di girls for rituals in 2020 polls – NDC alleges
- Second militia disbandment meeting Monday
- 7 times Nana Addo endorsed Mahama
- Reverend Owusu Bempah Is A Biased Prophet – John Mahama
- NPP MP’s Sleeping With NDC Women – Haruna Iddrisu Reveals
- Afia Schwarzenegger Suggests Akua Donkor Should Be Caged Like A Monkey
- VIDEO: John Mahama Will Lose 2020 Elections Just Like Nigeria’s Atiku – Owusu Bempah Predicts
- BREAKING: Kennedy Agyapong Releases Audio Of NDC’s Plan To Kill Dr Bawumia – AUDIO
- VIDEO: President Akufo-Addo Is A Disappointment To Ghana – Kumawood Actor
- Rawlings Attacks Kufuor Again – Here Is What He Said
- Ayawaso By-Election: NDC’s Ishau Yaro To Lose His Leg From Gun Wounds
- PHOTOS: NDC And Other Opposition Parties Demonstrate Against Nana Addo’s Government
- VIDEO: Minority In Parliament Tags Late Agyarko’s Wife As “Bloody Widow”
- Mahama Vows Never To Apologise For “Boot For Boot” Comment
- I Regret Endorsing NDC – Mzbel Cries Out
- VIDEO: NPP’s Nana B Slaps NDC’s Sammy Gyamfi During A Live Studio Discussion In The Studio Of Asempa FM
- Ayawaso By-Election: John Mahama Visits Victims Of Gun Attack – PHOTOS
- Ayawaso By-Election: Late Agyarko’s Wife In A Comfortable Lead
- Ayawaso By-Election: NDC MP, Sam George Receives Several Slaps From NPP’s Invincible Forces – VIDEO
- Ayawaso By-Election: Actor John Dumelo Attacked By Masked Gunmen? – VIDEO
- Ayawaso By-Election: NDC Withdraws Following Shooting Incident
- Ayawaso by-Election: Gunshots Fired At Bawaleshie Presby polling station Injuring 3 People
- VIDEO: “Foolish Journalism” – Yvonne Nelson Insults Ghanaian Journalists For Twisting Her Words
- VIDEO: Actress Yvonne Nelson regrets organising “Dumsor Vigil” Against the NDC?
- Menzgold saga: NAM1 will never be prosecuted in Dubai – Ibrah One reveals
- VIDEO: Why is there always a helicopter available to lift politicians during accidents but not citizens? – Kwame A-Plus fumes