Mr. John Dramani Mahama is the first-ever incumbent president to lose his seat during the 2016 elections; where he lost to Nana Akufo-Addo. In the quest for re-election in the 2020 general elections, he has made several campaign promises but based on his performance during his term in office, there are certain promises that we cannot trust him to fulfil.
Let us take a look at some of them.
PAY CUSTOMERS OF THE COLLAPSED FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS
Mr. John Dramani Mahama recently promised to pay the monies of the customers of the collapsed financial institutions in Ghana in a period of one year. Meanwhile, in 2016 Mr. Mahama admitted that the banking sector in Ghana was crumbling due to poor supervision from the Governor of the Bank of Ghana who he appointed himself.
This makes it true that, most of the collapsed financial institutions collapsed under his watch and if he was not able to supervise the bank to prosper, how then is he going to supervise the payments. Some of these institutions collapsed under the NDC, but the customers were not paid, the few ones who were paid too were not paid in full. Therefore, the promise of Mr. Mahama cannot be trusted.
ESTABLISH UNIVERSITY CAMPUSES IN EACH OF THE SIX NEWLY CREATED REGIONS
The promise by John Mahama to build six new universities in each of the newly created regions does not sound possible, considering what he did when he was in power. Though the NDC were able to build some universities when they were in power, the establishment of six (6) new regions in each of the six newly created regions does not sound possible.
RESTORE THE AUTOMATIC EMPLOYMENT OF NURSING TRAINEE GRADUATES AND PAY NURSING TRAINEE ALLOWANCES
Under the NDC government led by John Mahama, nursing trainee allowances (‘alawa’) were cancelled. Later in 2020 because of his desperateness of coming back into power, he has now promised to pay nursing trainee allowances. During this same period, the number of unemployed nurses in Ghana were numerous.
This created unemployment for nursing trainee graduates due to the fact that they completed only to come home and sit down. Most of these unemployed nurses have now been employed under various NPP initiatives. This is the fact that, the NDC is desperate for power and is making campaign promises just to attract votes. Therefore, this promise cannot be trusted.
COMPLETE THE EASTERN CORRIDOR ROADS
The eastern corridor roads are one of the most abandoned roads in the country. The Eastern Corridor roads project which began in 2012 and the NDC left power in 2016 still uncompleted. The project passes through the Greater Accra, Volta and Northern Regions and will finally end in the Upper East Region.
The Eastern corridor has a substantial unpaved portion with ageing bridges and experience washout and damages especially during the rainy season thereby making travel difficult. Each year, the Volta Region vote for the NDC but they see no major development in the region; this year they are tempted to do otherwise, and the NDC is just trying to use this promise to lure them to vote for them again in 2020.
A President who could not complete what he started in more than 4 years, cannot be trusted to complete it when power is handed over back to him.
John Mahama’s government has been one of the most corrupt since the inception of the fourth Republic of Ghana. Under his government, Ghana recorded one of the worst corruption cases which became a piece of international news, i.e. the ‘Airbus scandal’. According to the United Kingdom’s Royal Court of Justice, a Dutch company named Airbus SE was paying bribes to countries for them to be awarded contracts.
The company Airbus SE later admitted to the plea and also said a government official under the John Mahama administration was part of the deal. As at now, almost 5 months have passed, and John Mahama hasn’t issued any statement about this horrific crime; meanwhile, he has promised to fight corruption.
Some of his appointees are currently in jail for corruption and more are expected to be put before the courts.
In terms of corruption, John Mahama failed massively and cannot be trusted to fight it when he is back into office.
The above are some of the many promises by John Mahama that cannot be trusted.
- 7 Promises by John Mahama that we can confidently trust
- Is John Mahama on a promising spree because he still believes Ghanaians have short memory?
- What Prof. Jane Naana Opoku has in common with past running mates that should scare the NPP
- Prof. Jane Naana Opoku? The Pros and cons put NDC in a tight corner
- Where are all the senior politicians in the NDC? The battle is no longer for babies
- Why John Mahama is bent on reversing the Public Universities Bill
- Analysis of the choice of Mahama’s running mate and its political consequences for the NDC
- Mahama’s Projects Nana Addo Has Abandoned, And How They Could Have Saved Ghanaians
- Campaign of infrastructure: Whose legacy, Nana Addo or John Mahama?
- Why one of these 3 would be John Mahama’s running mate
- Why the NDC Should Not Present Mahama as Presidential Candidate Amidst Airbus Scandal
- Akufo-Addo and John Mahama shamed by international media
- How The NDC Is Turning Into A Populist Party For Votes
- Would Akufo-Addo contest again in 2024 should he lose this year’s elections?
- For how long will Volta Region keep voting without any significant development?
- How far with A-Plus and his TPP?
- Why I will vote against Akufo-Addo even if he gives me free water and electricity for life
- Will the Ashanti Region keep on voting for mere promises?
- Akufo-Addo’s free water and electricity, are they for votes or genuine concern?
- Is Hawa Koomson’s act a confirmation that the NPP is the most violent political party in Ghana?
- Why is the President cutting sods for new projects? What if the NDC wins the 2020 elections?
- 3 Reasons Why Ashanti Region Should Vote For The NDC At All Cost
- Ghanaian celebrities who have publicly shown displeasure for Akufo Addo’s governance
- 5 groups of people who should vote for NPP at all cost
- 4 groups of people who should vote for NDC at all cost
- Why Ashanti Region must show the NPP the exit in the upcoming elections
- Ghanaian politicians who have been to prison
- Money or Intelligence, Which one has more power in the NPP?
- Will the final year SHS students thank Akufo-Addo for FSHS or punish him for COVID-19 exposure?
- Where is Martin Amidu?