Looking at the current wealth and riches that is been generated from the music industry, locally in Ghana and globally, a Ghanaian child would always wonder why most Ghanaian parents would disallow their wards from pursuing a career in music. Well, one of the reasons is the long-lasting history of famous Ghanaian artists being hooked on drugs.
Several Ghanaian musicians have publicly advocated for the legalisation for the use of drugs. Some have also made it known that they use it. Rapper Kwaw Kese was jailed for the possession of drugs and have since advocated for its legalisation. Samini is hoping to enter into a weed farming should it be legalised.
Let us take a look at some Ghanaian musicians who ruined their music careers as a result of drug addiction and drug use.
Okomfour Kwaadee as popularly known within the music circle was named Jerry Anaabaa by his parents. He hails from Navrongo in the Upper East Region of Ghana. Okomfour Kwaadee made it to the limelight in the Ghana Music Industry when he released his debut album, ‘Kwaadee’. Since then, the artist knew no stop. He established himself as an A-list artist in Ghana until he started being on drugs. His drug life took him in and out of rehab centres until his fans finally gave up on him. Kwaadee returned from rehab to continue his music career but a recent photo trending on social media shows that things are not getting any better.
Abraham Philip Akpor Kojo Kenya, known by many with his stage name, Lord Kenya, is an award-winning Ghanaian Hiplife artist who is currently an Evangelist. In his hay days, Lord Kenya was undisputable like the Sarkodie of his era. He was a top artist wanted everywhere for his phenomenal skills and control over music. His fire couldn’t shine for long as the artist’s career was brought to a halt by his drug life. Like other musicians who were hooked on drugs, Lord Kenya moved from one rehab center to another till he could no longer afford it. He returned to music briefly and responded to the call of God to become an Evangelist. His newly discovered life has saved him from using drugs as he has been heard advising others to stay away from it.
Asem, known officially as Nana Wiafe Asante Mensah, was one of the hottest young acts in Ghana’s evolving Hiplife industry. He basically came from nowhere to take Ghana by storm. He is believed to have begun his drug life overseers where he schooled for a while before returning to Ghana. His drug life got messy when he started gaining money from music and could sponsor his drug life. The use of drugs by Asem eventually made him lose focus on his music career and fell off the radar.
Kiki Gyan, Osibisa Fame
Kiki Gyan of Osibisa rose to prominence and made millions when the band he played in, Osibisa became a top-notch band worldwide, however, Gyan became addicted to hard drugs for some 21 years, to the detriment of his career. Kiki Gyan died impoverished in a church bathroom in Ghana, a victim of AIDS and drug-related complications.
- Kwaw Kese, and other Ghanaian celebrities who have gone to Prison
- Sarkodie shares inspiring throwback photos to motivate fans on twitter
- It’s a shame Ghanaians don’t celebrate me regardless of my exploits – Kwaw Kese
- At your age you still live in your mother’s house with your 5 kids – Kwaw Kese fires Tinny
- Tinny threatens to kill Kwaw Kese’s career
- Kwaw Kese And Fernec Okyere Stabbed Musiga In The Back- Obuor Claims
- D-Black ‘Attacks’ Tinny For Tagging Him As A Wack Rapper
- I Don’t Regret Describing Kwaw Kese As A Wack Rapper – Tinny Insists
- Shatta Wale is The Poorest Artiste In Ghana – Kwaw kese
- Kwaw Kese Blasts Tinny For Calling Him A Wack Rapper
- Beef Alert: Kwaw Kese Makes Tinny’s List Of All Time Wack Rappers
- Arrest The Murderers Of Fennec Okyere Not Wee Smokers – Kwaw Kese Tells Police
- Stop Arresting Weed Smokers And Find Fennec’s Killers – Kwaw Kese Tells Ghana Police
- Fennec Okyere’s Murder: Kwaw Kese Remembers Him After 5 Years
- VIDEO: Apologise To Ghanaians For Lying That You Own A $1 million Mansion – Kwaw Kese Tells Shatta Wale
- Stonebwoy Is The Best Artiste In Ghana At The Moment – Kwaw Kese
- VIDEOS: Mr Eazi, Kwaw Kese, Wendy Shay, King Promise, Others Shut Down Legon Pentagon Hall
- VIDEO: Yaa Pono Advises Legon Students To Resort To “Wee Smoking” In Order To Learn Faster
- PHOTOS: 5 Ghanaian Celebrities Who Have Lost Weight Overnight
- SCREENSHOT: Kwaw Kese Fights Over 3Music Awards Nomination
- Kwaw Kese Now A Football Club Owner
- Ghanaian Celebrities Who Had Babies 6 Months After Marriage
- VIDEO: Okomfour Kwadee Is Now Sound – Delay Confirms
- After 20 years of Smoking, Kwaw Kese Begs God To Help Him Stop In 2019
- VIDEO: Bola Ray To Fund Kwadee’s Music If He Stays Off ‘Wee’ For A Week?
- Kwaw Kese gives the only reason he would attend Shatta Wale’s ‘Reign’ album launch
- Go to the aid of Kwadee -Twitter Users Plead With Sarkodie
- Okomfour Kwadee: I am Making a comeback this year