President Nana Akufo-Addo addressed world leaders at the 74th session of the UN General Assembly on Wednesday.
This year’s theme is “Galvanizing multilateral efforts for poverty eradication, quality education, climate action and inclusion”.
Among other things, the President underscored the need for a fairer trading attitude among developed and developing nations.
Here are 10 statements from his speech
For us [in Africa], poverty is a daily reality that we live with and feel…and it robs us of the dignity that should be the inherent right of every human being.
Poverty anywhere degrades us all, whether in the developed or developing world.
The competition to gain control over these minerals has also often led to insecurity in our countries.
Unfairness in the economic order undermines the fight against poverty.
The flight of capital is continuing the foreign exploitation of Africa, represented by colonialism and imperialism.
The African Continental Free Trade Area…will be the world’s largest free trade area since the formation of the World Trade Organisation (WTO)
Wherever quality education is available, there is usually prosperity.
To be able to benefit from opportunities made possible by technology, we need to raise our infrastructure to a basic, minimum level. We need to provide reliable electricity and internet services to the people in our towns and villages, and, then, they can truly join in the benefits of the technology that bring quality education to all. We can then have a realistic expectation of a prosperous future.
The General Assembly of the United Nations is usually held at the time of year when the extremes of nature are on display around the world. Maybe we are being urged to take notice, and hopefully take practical and proactive steps to curb the human activities that are endangering our planet.
In my part of the world, we do not argue over what constitutes poverty. We know it, we live with it, feel it and it is a daily reality.
- Akufo-Addo built Kotoka terminal 3 – NPP Communicator
- Vote against Akufo-Addo – Bantama NPP Chairman campaigns
- Disband National Security Secretariat and Ministries – Lawyer Ndebugri
- Aisha Huang’s deportation was a mistake – Nana Addo
- Reject White Paper stance on Sam George’s abuser – Franklin Cudjoe to Akufo-Addo
- Corruption tag stuck on Akufo-Addo – Koku Anyidoho
- I’m not a zombie to Akufo-Addo – Allotey Jacobs
- NDC’s ‘acquired accent’ jab against Akufo-Addo was a joke – Edudzi Tamakloe confesses
- Corruption fight: Akufo-Addo has been a disappointment – Atik Mohammed
- IMF, World Bank praises won’t win you 2020 polls – Ken Agyapong warns-Akufo Addo
- Akufo-Addo appoints new NYA top Managers
- Akufo-Addo’s appointees refusing to resign despite Public Services Commission’s directive
- Rawlings, Akufo-Addo biggest victims of politics of insults – Prof. Karikari
- Akufo-Addo speaks on anti-corruption fight today
- Akufo-Addo consoles Zimbabwe on Mugabe’s death
- Handshake furore: Akufo-Addo didn’t snub Mahama – Tema West NPP Chair
- Sack SA High Commissioner to Ghana – Akufo-Addo told
- Stop the disgusting act of victimising educational heads – TEIN to Akufo-Addo
- JETRO to pitch camp in Ghana; Akufo-Addo says it’s because ‘Ghana better than 2 years ago
- Prove you’re in charge of Ghana – Oscar Doe to Akufo-Addo
- Lift the veil on Ghana Amalgamated Trust shareholders – Mahama to Akufo-Addo
- Akufo-Addo appoints second female Brigadier General of the Ghana Armed Forces
- Victor Smith reveals why Akufo-Addo is still alive
- Deputy Minister finally reveals the number of Akufo-Addo’s relatives in gov’t
- I campaigned for Akufo-Addo because I believed in him; I don’t anymore – A Plus
- Akufo-Addo appoints Dr. Kwaku Afriyie to oversee activities of State Owned Enterprises
- Akufo-Addo must reduce number of ministers – Mahama
- Ghana is the 2nd most corrupt country in Africa – Report
- ‘You’re becoming the worse president ever’ – A Plus blasts Nana Addo
- President Akufo-Addo urges citizens to help flush out fertilizer smugglers